Studies suggest that approximately 10% of the world population is left-handed. So I wondered are there left-handed potato peelers for sale.
Google Search results
So I started to google the search term “left handed potato peeler” and google came up with 2060 exact matches. Not so much but enough. Almost all of them a commercial links for buying a left handed peeler.
I think the reason why there are no more search results is that almost all julienne peelers can be used left and right. But there are ergonomic handgrips especially for left handed people.
What is the difference between left and right handed peeler
Sometimes the handgrip is specially made for left handed cooks. That way the grip is designed can help utilize the peeler faster, easier and above all safer. particularly when you working with sharp blades.
The second reason is the direction of the blades. Most of the peelers can turn there blades 360 degrees but when you have a solid blade or semi-fixed blade you can’t turn it to the right position when peeling or julienning with you left hand.
The third reason are the extra attachments. For example a blade protector or a peel guider. These are positioned on the other side when you have a left handed potato peeler. You have also sometimes a pointy thing (Corer) that is used for remove black spots of your potato. This is also placed on the other side.
My two favorite left-handed potato peelers.
1. Rosle Left-Handed Swivel Peeler
- 7-1/2-inch peeler peels fruit, vegetables; suitable for lefthanders
- Made of 18/10 stainless steel with satin finish handle
- Sturdy, balanced, comfortable in the hand
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Safe to use in dishwasher
- Excellent pricing
- Stainless steel and durable
- first choose for professional cooks
- Sharp requires little effort
- Produces rather thick peelings, which is a bit wasteful
- Only one peeling direction
The left and right handed peelers are designed to peel toward the body. If you are more apt to peel away from your body, get the peeler labeled for the opposite hand. I use a right-handed peeler with my left hand
It’s not cheap but in return you get a professional stainless steal potato peeler that will preform for years. 39,99. You can by it here.
2. Right-Left Hand Peeler Corer
- Professional Peeler and Corer
- Stainless Steel
- Two Blades – One for Right-Handed Peeling and One for Left-Handed Peeling
- Functions as Corer as well
- Comfortable Handle
- Excellent pricing – very cheap
- Very sharp
- Comfortable grip/handle
- Can also be used right-handed
This one is cheap nifty potato peeler. 7,99. You can by it here.